PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Lifestyle - Diet and Exercise

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
peaches

Alright ladies! I'm game for a 5/1 start date. I don't like challenges that last TOO long bc I easily lose motivation... But I'm good with whatever the group decides.

I'm eager to start the new challenge! I'm promising to have NO CHOCOLATE this weekend, just a pledge to myself that will help start the ball rolling (see blog). Who's with me?!

2,000mg Metformin, clomid resistant, we were waiting until after my gallbladder was removed to start follistim. Got my BMI to JUST under 40 and then... an all natural surprise, we didn't even know I O'd! Addison Hope was born 9.11.12 at 8lbs 11oz, 21"

peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
beauty1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by impatient View Post
beauty - What were you doing that helped you lost those 45 lbs? I have a hard time exercising... or getting the motivation to do it. I think that 5 times a week is a lot for someone like me, who doesn't really exercise. I think that at this point it my weight loss it is key. I hit a plateau after the first 25 lbs came off. They came off just with low carb and Met.

I am looking forward to the new challenge. I hope if the weather improves I will be motivated to go outside and at least walk.
At first, I tried the "no carb" diets, that seemed to work well at first (well, the first 2 weeks.) I lost 3 pounds, but was tired, fatigued and my blood pressure spiked sky high. By the end of the third week, despite doing the no carb thing, I put on 5 pounds! I almost tossed in the towel.

My doctor explained to me that carbohydrates are mandatory for your body to function properly. It's all about what carbs you choose. So, I went on to choosing "healthier carbs"..starchy veggies when I had a carb craving and I eat whole wheat items. I also eliminated "refined" everything. So that means I read every single food label before I indulge. I also take take dietary supplements.

Once I noticed I lost 13 pounds (it took about 8 months!!), I started to exercise more. My best friend (who is also super physically fit) suggested I start running. I turned my nose up at first, but then I realized, that if I was going to win this battle, I had to take this thing head on. PCOS makes it very hard for us ladies to loose weight, so I work even harder!! I push myself to run every single day.

Yes, it seems a bit excessive at first. I know being obese makes it harder for you to do daily activities. Just climbimg the stairs can take a toll on you. The very thought of running made me want to collapse! I thought I was going to die the first day (no, the first week!!!) I ran at the gym. I only could do 5 minutes and that was it. With each day, I was able to add a few more minutes and now I run 4-5 miles 6 days a week. Not everyone is able to run. But walking 45 minutes a day can help yeild similar results.

Another thing that helped to keep me motivated were the people I saw at the gym. I watched morbidly obese men & women pick up their stomachs to get on equipment. I have conversed with many of them. They are dedicated to getting healthy. Some have more endurance than me. They inspire me and I hope I inspire them too.
beauty1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauty1216 View Post
My doctor explained to me that carbohydrates are mandatory for your body to function properly. It's all about what carbs you choose. So, I went on to choosing "healthier carbs"..starchy veggies when I had a carb craving and I eat whole wheat items. I also eliminated "refined" everything. So that means I read every single food label before I indulge. I also take take dietary supplements.
How do I check for "refined" products?
TTC since June 2009
Met 2000mg, Folic Acid, Fish Oil, Cinnamon, vit. D, B12, Chromium Picolinate + multi.
2 furbabies Roxey (shepherd mix) & Lil' Kitty

impatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
beccalandon

Impatient- The great thing about walking is you get extra vitamin D which makes you happier and helps you lose weight, its a win, win.

Let's make the last day of the challenge July 31, that way we'll still have a month of summer to actually be slim.
Why don't we have a water challenge one week, I'm horrible about water and vitamins, so we could have a vitamin week to, if we want.
What other challenges does everyone want?
beccalandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:15 AM   #15
beauty1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by impatient View Post
How do I check for "refined" products?
Basically, I stay away from "enriched", "refined", "partially hydrogenated" or anything I can't pronounce! I also steer clear of "high fructose; (or as they want to call it to make it sound ok.....corn sugar"). I know they have a commercial claiming your body can't tell the difference. That isn't true. Your body CAN tell the difference.

Becca- July 31 sounds good to me. I need a vitamin challenge!! I do take supplements and multi-vitamins, but I don't feel like I am getting enough vitamins. I need to see if I can get more vitamin packed foods into my diet. You get the full benefits of the vitamins when your body derives it from actual food.
beauty1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
beccalandon

I know we haven't officially started, but I like to log my weight weekly since it helps me stay on track. Today I was down 2.4 lbs and that was the highest of all the times I weighed (I'm a compulsive weigher and I tend to go with the highest number). I'm really excited about finally reaching onederland (last week), I haven't been there in about 5 yrs and I'm only eighteen! Hope everyone is doing well and excited for the challege. Also, how about a 'Walk it Off' challenge, we could try to walk/run/jog for at least a few minutes everyday.
So far our challenge weeks are:
Water Challenge (Drink it all)
Vitamin Challenge (Remember those pills, eat those carrots)
How about we start the Water Challenge on May 1st?
beccalandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #17
nursehev27

Default Can I join too!?

Hi I haven't posted for awhile. I have been depressed and just didn't care for a few months. My doc just reamed me out for gaining 20 more lbs since november of last year. I know I have an eating disorder, I have known for a long time. I have tried psychiatric help, but it didn't help. I tried meds, but that didn't help either. Things are not good right now. I need a challenge to get me motivated. I am 36 right now and feel as though my chances of having a child are going away every day that I don't do something. I was a runner for years and 3 years ago i broke my foot and couldn't run, since then I have packed on 100 lbs! I weighed in at 260 at my appt in april. My husband is trying so hard to help me, as he wants a child badly, but I just can't seem to stick with it. I did great with the "primal challenge" for a week and dropped 10 lbs. but then at easter I went crazy and gained most of it back. I have until august 10th to lose 20lbs. My FSH was high again and this worries me. I also have issues with prolactin....I am on bromocriptine...prediabetes (on metformin 2000 daily) and thyroid (on synthroid). I really want to lose weight bad, but it still doesn't help my cravings or binges.
Looking forward to this
Heather

Married since 8/09
TTC since 10/09
Weight 260
DX PCOS 6/2010
2 puppers- Maggie (7) Thor (1.5)
nursehev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #18
bsjcb2000

Hi.. Can I join??? I have lurked on this board for months, but haven't posted much. Where to start? humm... I'm 5'3 and weight 218.5 and am 36 years old. and my physical condition is just so depressing. I just recently made the decesion that this is it. I have to take charge of my body and my health. I set a goal of losing 40 pounds by 9/30/11 which gives me 5 months averages to around 2"ish" pounds a week.

my dr put me on Met back in oct and while that has helped to stablise my weight, thats about it...

so how does the challenges work? I guess we check in weekly or something? are there "rules" somewhere?

I just know that I have to do something and not having any true accountability is not cutting it for me!!!!

Thanks Sherry
bsjcb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
impatient

Happy May 1st ladies!

This is the Introduction Template they used for the last challenge, so I figured I would bring it over here.

Name:
Starting Weight:
Goal Weight:
Mini Goal #1:
Mini Goal # 2:
Diet Plan:
Exercise Plan:
Weight-loss Story/Struggle:

So this is me...
Name: Katti (Katie)
Starting Weight: 301
Goal Weight: 200
Mini Goal #1: 15 lbs by June 3
Mini Goal # 2: 20 more lbs by July 31
Diet Plan: Low carb, considering 5 small meals and snacking more
Exercise Plan: Walking and Wii Fit
Weight-loss Story/Struggle: I started my current diet in July '10 and lost 25 lbs in about 5 months and then I just leveled out. I do well losing in the beginning the plateau and lose motivation. I need to find a way to push past and keep losing.

I want to lose 35 lbs to start. I am the Matron of Honor in a wedding on Sept 10th. I had gone from a size 28 to 26 from Sept '10 to Jan. '11. I want to be down 2 more before the wedding. Also, even thought we are TTC on our own, my Fertility doc said no IUI or IVF until my BMI is down.

nursehev27 - Glad you're here. I love this thread for support. We all know how it feels to be depressed. I told myself that I was the one holding me back. At some point you just have to focus on your will power and do it for you. Once you start losing, you will get more energy and feel better.

bsjcb2000 - Welcome! There are no rules. That is one of the things I loved about this thread. The challenges aren't mandatory, participate when you want to.

beccalandon - Those 3 challenges sound great. Count me in for the Water Challenge starting today. When we did it before, we said that 1 item of caffeine in the morning for coffee addicts (I drink Diet Coke) and then nothing but water all day.
TTC since June 2009
Met 2000mg, Folic Acid, Fish Oil, Cinnamon, vit. D, B12, Chromium Picolinate + multi.
2 furbabies Roxey (shepherd mix) & Lil' Kitty

impatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
nursehev27

Default Day 1

Name: Heather G
Starting Weight: 260
Goal Weight: 220
Mini Goal #1: 14 lbs in 2 weeks.
Mini Goal # 2:2lbs per week after that
Diet Plan: SB diet (worked for me in the past), drinking 8 glasses of water per day
Exercise Plan: 5k training program, excercise bike
Weight-loss Story/Struggle: I was a distance runner for a long time. 4-6 miles per day. I broke my foot in 8/08 and couldn't run (still have trouble with it). I got really depressed, kept gaining weight. Went to my family doc who just said I am eating too much. Hubby and I tried to get pregnant in 10/09, we tried until may of 2010 when my obgyn did some tests. I found out I had hypothyroidism (which was probably masked by the running) and signs of PCOS...sent me to a fertility doc. I was dx with PCOS in june, started on synthroid, metformin (2000mg daily) PNV. I also researched PCOS and started supplements and herbal therapy. The problem is my husband can eat whatever he wants and when he eats pizza, I eat it too (and I can't stop at just one piece). My levels were really good in november and he wanted us to start trying the clomid and IUI, but I told him I was using herbs to help regulate my hormones etc. He told me to stop taking all the herbs and have my labs checked again in a month. Well a month later everything was horrible again. My labs were all screwed up and I had to go on bromocriptine b/c my prolactin was too high. That set me on another course of binging and of course my latest appt in april I had gained 20lbs and my labs are worse. my husband and I really really want a child, but if I can't get myself together it is never going to happen.
Thanks for listenening to my rant!
Heather
nursehev27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
support, weight loss