PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Lifestyle - Diet and Exercise

Notices

Old 04-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
slightly
PCOStar!

Default Recipes: Easy, Healthy, share them all!

Easy is the name of my game. When i look through recipe books, i tend to skip right over recipes that have more than 3 or 4 ingredients.

I got a steamer from tupperwear and so i buy lots of frozen veggies and steam them. For my protien, see, my recipe in the S.B. Phase I thread for putting a chicken breast in a tin foil "boat" with some broth and seasonings.

Also, you can buy frozen fish - tilapia or salmon, I season with some lemon juice, or some olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Something like that, and bake.

Also, a crock pot recipe: a piece of roast, add a jar of pepperoncini peppers and slow cook while you are at work.

For really quick and easy, i heat up a boca burger - super easy.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
FrumWithPCOS

Easiest recipe ever: Take chicken (I use thighs, you can use whatever you want), put it in the crockpot, put a decent amount of italian dressing on it. It doesn't have to cover the top, but make sure that each piece is wet with the dressing. (I use a bit less than half a bottle for around six pieces - make it once and have leftovers for future nights!) Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

That's it. Make some veges on the side, and you've got yourself a dinner. (You can also make brown rice and let it soak up the liquid - it's SO good.)

My sister gave me this recipe, and I was sure it would taste AWFUL - it doesn't! It's really good! You would never guess it was just Italian dressing...

(Make sure the dressing doesn't have too many carbs, just in case.)
Boruch Hashem
FrumWithPCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
mdub

I looooove easy, one pot meals. I have 3 that I eat regularly. I tend to eat the same things over and over again, haha.

The first is very simple...chicken, stir fry veggies and some low sugar suace of some sort...either a thai sauce or stir fry, etc. I make it with cabbage to give somewhat the illusion of rice but you could deifnitely have some brown rice with this.

The next is a little concoction I make quite often...what I do is dice up some onions and throw onions and chicken in a sauce pan to cook with some spices...i usually use seasoning salt and anything else that sounds good, maybe garlic powder. once that's cooked, i add a can of diced tomatoes and artichoke hearts...let it cook a bit longer and viola! you have a stew like meal!

The third is a chili I got from the SB website, I find it quick and easy and I use ground turkey instead of beef:

Beef and Bean Chili
2 (1 and 1/2-cup servings)
Description
Top this hearty chili with chopped scallions, reduced-fat sour cream, or grated low-fat cheddar cheese.

Prep time: 5 minutes
Start to finish: 25 minutes

Ingredients
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound lean ground beef
11/4 teaspoons chili powder, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove
1/2 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef, 1/2 teaspoon of the chili powder, and cumin; sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a plate.
Add onion, garlic, and remaining chili powder to the same saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice and beans; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Uncover, add cooked beef, and cook an additional 5 minutes, until liquid thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.

Recipe from The South Beach Diet Quick & Easy Cookbook.

Nutritional Information:
350 calories
15 total fat (4.5 g sat)
25 g carbohydrate
30 g protein
8 g fiber
670 mg sodium

I hope those can help you out some!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
slightly
PCOStar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrumWithPCOS
Easiest recipe ever: Take chicken (I use thighs, you can use whatever you want), put it in the crockpot, put a decent amount of italian dressing on it. It doesn't have to cover the top, but make sure that each piece is wet with the dressing. (I use a bit less than half a bottle for around six pieces - make it once and have leftovers for future nights!) Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

That's it. Make some veges on the side, and you've got yourself a dinner. (You can also make brown rice and let it soak up the liquid - it's SO good.)

My sister gave me this recipe, and I was sure it would taste AWFUL - it doesn't! It's really good! You would never guess it was just Italian dressing...

(Make sure the dressing doesn't have too many carbs, just in case.)
ditto this, I also use this as marinade before grilling. super easy!!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
pjs3902
PCOSuperStar!

Send a message via MSN to pjs3902

woah sli--- you mean you're willing to marinate food, but not bake tortillas for 5 min?!?!? you are too funny!

quick recipe
1lb ground hambur. or turkey
can of pork & beans
1 cup cheese (give of take your preference)

fry up meat, add beans and cheese... you're good to go!

Me: 27 DH:28 Our babies:
Our first miracle: Alexaundra ElizabethJo~ bfp 8/10/08, born 4/24/09
Our second miracle: Mollie Reighnea~ bfp 1/5/10, born 9/3/10
Our third miracle: Jacob Andrew~ bfp 11/15/11, born 7/17/12

Weight loss journey~ started 5/6/13

Diagnosed in 2004, told in 2005 we'd never have kids- HA! We showed them!
pjs3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
FrumWithPCOS

I have one more recipe that I love, but I don't have the measurements here so I'm not 100% sure this is right...

Tastes-Like-Meat Quasadillas

1 can black beans
1 cup? of salsa (is this SB okay?)
oregano
4 whole wheat tortillas (wraps)
cheese

Rinse black beans and mash them WELL. (If you don't, the inside of the quasadilla will fall apart - take it from experience.) Mix in salsa and oregano. Put one tortilla in a frying pan on med-high heat for a minute or so. Then make three layers: 1) Sprinkle as much cheese as you'd like (be generous) on the tortilla. 2) Dump half the salsa mixture on top. 3) Sprinkle more cheese on top. Then add the top tortilla. Keep on checking the underside of the bottom tortilla. When it looks done (my husband likes his practically burned, you'll probably want to catch it before it burns), flip the entire thing with the spatula. The second side will take less time. Cut into quarters (we use a pizza wheel) and serve! Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a second one.

My husband says it really tastes like he's eating ground meat - which of course you can have on SB, but these are much cheaper and really good too! They're crunchy and cheesy all at once...

Good luck! Feel free to let us know what you think of any of the recipes you try!
Boruch Hashem
Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
FrumWithPCOS

No prob, Slightly! Hope he enjoys them

Oh, and one more "recipe" using whole-wheat tortillas. Coat one side of a tortilla with chumus and put plain bagged salad (or lettuce cut like bagged salad) on half of it. Roll it, starting from the salad-filled side. Add more chumus to seal it, if you want to. It's simple, looks packed just like a wrap, and even my dh (who's not on sb or any other diet) loves them!

There ya go, those are my best low-carb recipes, I think. This one is perfect when a) you're so rushed for time you can't cook anything, or b) the power goes out and you still need to make SOMETHING!

Enjoy...
Boruch Hashem
Old 04-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
slightly
PCOStar!

is chumus, humus? or something else?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
FrumWithPCOS

Oops! Yes. Humus.

Hm. I'm making a semi-big meal this weekend and I need some ideas. I bought red, yellow, and orange peppers (there was a big sale), but all the salad recipes i can find have tons of sugar! Any ideas on what kind of salad I can make with them? I'd rather not use lettuce, because most of my salads do, and i wanted this one to be different...

I'm also looking for a non-salad side dish - something that would be equivalent to potatoes, but obviously not actually potatoes. Otherwise I'll just make potatoes and not eat them - hopefully.

Any ideas?
Boruch Hashem
Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
pjs3902
PCOSuperStar!

Send a message via MSN to pjs3902

you could always try the "almost mashed potatoes" it's a SB diet food. I don't have the recipe here.... i'll try and find it really quick... someone else may have it too!

Me: 27 DH:28 Our babies:
Our first miracle: Alexaundra ElizabethJo~ bfp 8/10/08, born 4/24/09
Our second miracle: Mollie Reighnea~ bfp 1/5/10, born 9/3/10
Our third miracle: Jacob Andrew~ bfp 11/15/11, born 7/17/12

Weight loss journey~ started 5/6/13

Diagnosed in 2004, told in 2005 we'd never have kids- HA! We showed them!
pjs3902 is offline   Reply With Quote